Harish-Chandra Research Institute
The Harish-Chandra Research Institute (HRI) is a premier institution dedicated to research in mathematics, and in theoretical physics. It is located in Allahabad, India, and is funded by the Department of Atomic Energy, Government of India.
The primary areas of focus in Mathematics are Algebra, Analysis, Geometry and Number Theory; and Astrophysics, Condensed Matter, Particle Physics, Quantum Information and String Theory in Physics. The institute runs a PhD programme in both Mathematics and Theoretical Physics for both post MSc and post BSc students. The institute also has a visiting students' programme for bachelors and masters students; and actively runs various outreach programmes.
In the past two decades HRI has had significant impact in both research and education in Mathematics and Theoretical Physics. Awards conferred on faculty members include one Dirac Medal, five Bhatnagar Awards and one Padma Bhushan. Around fifty alumni of the institute hold faculty positions in premier scientific institutions of the country.
Admission in Physics
HRI conducts a regular/integrated M.Sc.-Ph.D. program in physics. The regular Ph.D. program is open to students with a M.Sc. degree in physics, while the integrated program is open to candidates with a Bachelor's degree in science or engineering.
Admission in Mathematics
HRI conducts a regular Ph.D. as well as an integrated M.Sc.-Ph.D. program in mathematics. Students are selected through NBHM research fellowship together with an interview. However, successful CSIR Research Fellowship holders are also eligible for appearing the interview.
- J. C. Bose fellowship awarded to Prof Rajesh Gopakumar: Click here
- Discovery of Uncertainty Relations Beyond Heisenberg-Roberston: Recently, L. Maccone (Univ. of Pavia, Italy) and Arun Kumar Pati (Harish-Chandra Research Institute, Allahabad) have proved two uncertainty relations that go beyond the textbook uncertainty : Click here
- M K SINGHAL MEMORIAL AWARD 2013-14 to Prof. S. D. Adhikari: Click here
- Dirac medal to Prof. Ashoke Sen: Click here
- Buti Foundation Award of Indian Physics Association for the year 2013 to Dr. Aditi Sen De: Click here
- No talks this week.
- 01-02-2016 to 13-02-2016, 2016 HRI Workshop on String Theory
- 15-02-2016 to 19-02-2016, Sangam @ HRI 2016: Instructional Workshop in Particle Physics
- 22-02-2016 to 02-03-2016, School on Nanoscale Electronic Transport and Magnetism: Fundamentals to Applications
- 11-03-2016 to 16-03-2016, Triveni Number Theory Meet @HRI (Algebric, Analytic and Transcendental Number Theory)
- 17-03-2016 to 19-03-2016, Nu HoRizons VI