Harish-Chandra Research Institute
The Harish-Chandra Research Institute (HRI) is a premier institution dedicated to research in Mathematics and Theoretical Physics.
The areas of focus in Mathematics are Algebra, Analysis, Geometry, and Number Theory. In Physics the areas are Astrophysics, Condensed Matter, Particle Physics, Quantum Information, and String Theory. The institute runs a Ph.D programme in both Mathematics and Theoretical Physics, and is starting a M.Sc program (in 2017) in Physics. The institute also has a visiting students' programme for bachelors and masters students; and actively runs various outreach programmes.
In the past two decades HRI has had significant impact in both research and education in Mathematics and Theoretical Physics. Awards conferred on faculty members include one Dirac Medal, five Bhatnagar Awards and one Padma Bhushan. Around fifty alumni of the institute hold faculty positions in premier scientific institutions in the country.
Admission in Physics
HRI conducts an M.Sc and a Ph.D. program in physics. The Ph.D. program is open to students with an M.Sc. degree in physics, while the M.Sc. program is open to students with a Bachelor's degree in science or engineering.
To know more about interviews for Ph.D. Programme and M.Sc. Programme in Physics, Click here >>
Admission in Mathematics
HRI conducts a regular Ph.D. as well as an integrated M.Sc.-Ph.D. program in mathematics. Students are selected through NBHM research fellowship together with an interview. However, successful CSIR Research Fellowship holders are also eligible for appearing the interview.
- List of selected candidates in the first round of entrance exam for the M.Sc and the Ph.D. (physics) programme: Click here
- List of candidates qualified to appear in Interview for Ph.D. Programme in Mathematics at HRI: Click here
- First round of M.Sc.(Physics), and Ph.D.(Physics) entrance exam and interviews will be held on April 20–22, 2018. Second round will be held on May 17–19, 2018. For more details including the JEST/NET qualification criterion: Click here
- First round of HRI Ph.D (Mathematics) interviews will be held on 28, 29, 30 May 2018. Second round of HRI Ph.D (Mathematics) interviews will be held on 11, 12, 13th June.2018.: Click here
- Prof. B. Mukhopadhyaya has been elected a Fellow of the Indian Academy of Sciences and Prof. Sumathi Rao has been appointed a Divisional Associate Editor at Physical Review Letters: Click here
- Prof. Pinaki Majumdar has been appointed Director of HRI. Prof Majumdar has taken over the charge of Directorship on April 10, 2017: Click here
- Prof Sumathi Rao has been recognised as an `outstanding referee` by the American Physical Society. She has also been elected a Fellow of the Indian Academy of Sciences, Bangalore.: Click here
- No talks this week.
- No events scheduled.