Harish-Chandra Research Institute
The Harish-Chandra Research Institute (HRI) is a premier institution dedicated to research in Mathematics and Theoretical Physics.
The areas of focus in Mathematics are Algebra, Analysis, Geometry, and Number Theory. In Physics the areas are Astrophysics, Condensed Matter, Particle Physics, Quantum Information, and String Theory. The institute runs a Ph.D programme in both Mathematics and Theoretical Physics, and is starting a M.Sc program (in 2017) in Physics. The institute also has a visiting students' programme for bachelors and masters students; and actively runs various outreach programmes.
In the past two decades HRI has had significant impact in both research and education in Mathematics and Theoretical Physics. Awards conferred on faculty members include one Dirac Medal, five Bhatnagar Awards and one Padma Bhushan. Around fifty alumni of the institute hold faculty positions in premier scientific institutions in the country.
Admission in Physics
HRI conducts an M.Sc and a Ph.D. program in physics. The Ph.D. program is open to students with an M.Sc. degree in physics, while the M.Sc. program is open to students with a Bachelor's degree in science or engineering.
To know more about interviews for Ph.D. Programme and M.Sc. Programme in Physics, Click here >>
Admission in Mathematics
HRI conducts a regular Ph.D. as well as an integrated M.Sc.-Ph.D. program in mathematics. Students are selected through NBHM research fellowship together with an interview. However, successful CSIR Research Fellowship holders are also eligible for appearing the interview.
- Results of the Physics entrance examination held from April 21 to 23 and May 15 to 16, 2017: Click here
- List of selected candidates for the Ph.D programme in Mathematics through 1st round of interview held on 18th and 19th April 2017 and 2nd round of interview held on 8th and 9th June 2017: Click here
- Prof. Pinaki Majumdar has been appointed Director of HRI. Prof Majumdar has taken over the charge of Directorship on April 10, 2017: Click here
- Prof Sumathi Rao has been recognised as an `outstanding referee` by the American Physical Society. She has also been elected a Fellow of the Indian Academy of Sciences, Bangalore.: Click here
- The Programme of Dr. Sekhar Basu, Chairman Atomic Energy Commission and Secretary, DAE interacting with and responding to the queries of media students and future journalists.: Click here
- No talks this week.
- 04-09-2017 to 07-09-2017, International Conference on Class Groups of Number Fields and Related Topics (ICCGNFRT) to be held at Harish-Chandra Research Institute, Allahabad, India, during 4th September, 2017 to 7th September, 2017.