Harish-Chandra Research Institute
The Harish-Chandra Research Institute (HRI) is a premier institution dedicated to research in mathematics, and in theoretical physics. It is located in Allahabad, India, and is funded by the Department of Atomic Energy, Government of India.
The primary areas of focus in Mathematics are Algebra, Analysis, Geometry and Number Theory; and Astrophysics, Condensed Matter, Particle Physics, Quantum Information and String Theory in Physics. The institute runs a PhD programme in both Mathematics and Theoretical Physics for both post MSc and post BSc students. The institute also has a visiting students' programme for bachelors and masters students; and actively runs various outreach programmes.
In the past two decades HRI has had significant impact in both research and education in Mathematics and Theoretical Physics. Awards conferred on faculty members include one Dirac Medal, five Bhatnagar Awards and one Padma Bhushan. Around fifty alumni of the institute hold faculty positions in premier scientific institutions of the country.
Admission in Physics
HRI conducts a regular/integrated M.Sc.-Ph.D. program in physics. The regular Ph.D. program is open to students with a M.Sc. degree in physics, while the integrated program is open to candidates with a Bachelor's degree in science or engineering.
Admission in Mathematics
HRI conducts a regular Ph.D. as well as an integrated M.Sc.-Ph.D. program in mathematics. Students are selected through NBHM research fellowship together with an interview. However, successful CSIR Research Fellowship holders are also eligible for appearing the interview.
- Advertisement Notice No. 1/2015 for the posts of Library Assistant (Scientific Assistant C) and Store/Purchase Officer: Click here
- List of candidates called for interview for HRI Ph.D Programme (Maths) during 23rd-25th April 2015 .Please report at 9.45 a.m on 23-4-2015. You will received Call letters soon. If you are interested to appear confirm by 5-4-2015 on mathjest[at]hri.res.in: Click here
- The written test and interview for admissions to the regular Ph.D. and the integrated M.Sc.-Ph.D. programs in Physics will be held during 24-26 April and 23-25 May, 2015.: Click here
- The candidates who have qualified UGC/CSIR Rank upto 50 in JUNE 2014 or December 2014 may apply for HRI Ph. D. Mathematics admission starting in August, 2015. Interested candidates are asked to send an application (through email: mathjest [AT] hri.res.in: Click here
- J. C. Bose fellowship awarded to Prof Rajesh Gopakumar: Click here
- Discovery of Uncertainty Relations Beyond Heisenberg-Roberston: Recently, L. Maccone (Univ. of Pavia, Italy) and Arun Kumar Pati (Harish-Chandra Research Institute, Allahabad) have proved two uncertainty relations that go beyond the textbook uncertainty : Click here
- M K SINGHAL MEMORIAL AWARD 2013-14 to Prof. S. D. Adhikari: Click here
- Dirac medal to Prof. Ashoke Sen: Click here
- Buti Foundation Award of Indian Physics Association for the year 2013 to Dr. Aditi Sen De: Click here
- 03-04-2015, Mathematics Seminar "Character degrees and group structure" by