Harish-Chandra Research Institute
The Harish-Chandra Research Institute (HRI) is a premier institution dedicated to research in mathematics, and in theoretical physics. It is located in Allahabad, India, and is funded by the Department of Atomic Energy, Government of India.
The primary areas of focus in Mathematics are Algebra, Analysis, Geometry and Number Theory; and Astrophysics, Condensed Matter, Particle Physics, Quantum Information and String Theory in Physics. The institute runs a PhD programme in both Mathematics and Theoretical Physics for both post MSc and post BSc students. The institute also has a visiting students' programme for bachelors and masters students; and actively runs various outreach programmes.
In the past two decades HRI has had significant impact in both research and education in Mathematics and Theoretical Physics. Awards conferred on faculty members include one Dirac Medal, five Bhatnagar Awards and one Padma Bhushan. Around fifty alumni of the institute hold faculty positions in premier scientific institutions of the country.
Admission in Physics
HRI conducts a regular/integrated M.Sc.-Ph.D. program in physics. The regular Ph.D. program is open to students with a M.Sc. degree in physics, while the integrated program is open to candidates with a Bachelor's degree in science or engineering.
Admission in Mathematics
HRI conducts a regular Ph.D. as well as an integrated M.Sc.-Ph.D. program in mathematics. Students are selected through NBHM research fellowship together with an interview. However, successful CSIR Research Fellowship holders are also eligible for appearing the interview.
- List of candidates selected for Ph.D Programme in Physics (round 2): Click here
- List of candidates selected for Ph.D Programme in Physics (round 1): Click here
- Certificate from Prime Minister`s Office regarding Employees contributions to Prime Minister`s National Relief Fund: Click here
- Dr. Sekhar Basu, Chairman, Atomic Energy Commission and Secretary Department of Atomic Energy, Government of India delivered a lecture on: The achievements of the department in science and technology, on 21-3-2016 at Harish-Chandra Research Institute: Click here
- List of candidates called for interview for HRI Ph.D Programme in Mathematics through NBHM. UGC/CSIR qualified candidates need to apply separately. See the detailed notice.: Click here
- J. C. Bose fellowship awarded to Prof Rajesh Gopakumar: Click here
- Discovery of Uncertainty Relations Beyond Heisenberg-Roberston: Recently, L. Maccone (Univ. of Pavia, Italy) and Arun Kumar Pati (Harish-Chandra Research Institute, Allahabad) have proved two uncertainty relations that go beyond the textbook uncertainty : Click here
- M K SINGHAL MEMORIAL AWARD 2013-14 to Prof. S. D. Adhikari: Click here
- Dirac medal to Prof. Ashoke Sen: Click here
- Buti Foundation Award of Indian Physics Association for the year 2013 to Dr. Aditi Sen De: Click here