Harish-Chandra Research Institute
The Harish-Chandra Research Institute (HRI) is a premier institution dedicated to research in mathematics, and in theoretical physics. It is located in Allahabad, India, and is funded by the Department of Atomic Energy, Government of India.
The primary areas of focus in Mathematics are Algebra, Analysis, Geometry and Number Theory; and Astrophysics, Condensed Matter, Particle Physics, Quantum Information and String Theory in Physics. The institute runs a PhD programme in both Mathematics and Theoretical Physics for both post MSc and post BSc students. The institute also has a visiting students' programme for bachelors and masters students; and actively runs various outreach programmes.
In the past two decades HRI has had significant impact in both research and education in Mathematics and Theoretical Physics. Awards conferred on faculty members include one Dirac Medal, five Bhatnagar Awards and one Padma Bhushan. Around fifty alumni of the institute hold faculty positions in premier scientific institutions of the country.
Admission in Physics
HRI conducts an M.Sc and a Ph.D. program in physics. The Ph.D. program is open to students with an M.Sc. degree in physics, while the M.Sc. program is open to students with a Bachelor's degree in science or engineering.
To know more about interviews for Ph.D. Programme and M.Sc. Programme in Physics, Click here >>
Admission in Mathematics
HRI conducts a regular Ph.D. as well as an integrated M.Sc.-Ph.D. program in mathematics. Students are selected through NBHM research fellowship together with an interview. However, successful CSIR Research Fellowship holders are also eligible for appearing the interview.
- Results of the Physics entrance examination held from April 21 to 23, 2017: Click here
- Prof. Pinaki Majumdar has been appointed Director of HRI. Prof Majumdar has taken over the charge of Directorship on April 10, 2017: Click here
- Interviews for HRI Ph.D. Programme in Mathematics 2017: Click here
- Prof Sumathi Rao has been given the `outstanding referee` award by the American Physical Society for the year 2017: Click here
- Prof Sumathi Rao has been selected fellow of the Indian Academy of Sciences, Bangalore: Click here
- The Programme of Dr. Sekhar Basu, Chairman Atomic Energy Commission and Secretary, DAE interacting with and responding to the queries of media students and future journalists.: Click here
- Prof. Boris Kayser presented 3 lectures at HRI on 5th, 7th and 9th dec, 2016: Click here
- Prof Raj Gandhi has been awarded the Neutrino Physics Center Fellowship in 2016 by Fermilab, USA: Click here
- Certificate from Prime Minister`s Office regarding Employees contributions to Prime Minister`s National Relief Fund: Click here
- Dr. Sekhar Basu, Chairman, Atomic Energy Commission and Secretary Department of Atomic Energy, Government of India delivered a lecture on: The achievements of the department in science and technology, on 21-3-2016 at Harish-Chandra Research Institute: Click here
- No talks this week.
- No events scheduled.