Harish-Chandra Research Institute
The Harish-Chandra Research Institute (HRI) is a premier institution dedicated to research in Mathematics and Theoretical Physics.
The areas of focus in Mathematics are Algebra, Analysis, Geometry, and Number Theory. In Physics the areas are Astrophysics, Condensed Matter, Particle Physics, Quantum Information, and String Theory. The institute runs a Ph.D programme in both Mathematics and Theoretical Physics, and has recently started an M.Sc. programme in Physics. The institute also has a visiting students' programme for bachelors and masters students; and actively runs various outreach programmes.
In the past two decades HRI has had significant impact in both research and education in Mathematics and Theoretical Physics. Awards conferred on faculty members include one Dirac Medal, five Bhatnagar Awards and one Padma Bhushan. Around fifty alumni of the institute hold faculty positions in premier scientific institutions in the country.
Admission in Physics
HRI conducts an M.Sc and a Ph.D. programme in physics. The Ph.D. programme is open to students with an M.Sc. degree in physics, while the M.Sc. programme is open to students with a Bachelor's degree in science or engineering.
Selection process for Admissions 2022 is open now. For details of the selection process for admission to the Physics M.Sc. and Ph.D.programs, Click here >>
Admission in Mathematics
HRI conducts a regular Ph.D. program in mathematics, in collaboration with the Homi Bhaba National Institute (HBNI). The program is open to students with a M.Sc. degree in mathematics.
Selection process for Admissions 2022 is open now. The list of eligible candidates through NBHM window will be uploaded as soon as we get it. For details of the selection process for admission to the Mathematics Ph.D.programs, Click here >>
- Math PDF Selections October 2022 at HRI. For the result: Click here
- Prof. Aditi Sen De has been elected Fellow of the Indian National Science Academy (INSA) from Jan 2023:
- Open Recruitment Notices of permanent and project posts: Click here
- Result of Recruitment of Administrative Posts (Against Emp. Notice No.01/2021 dated 17.08.2021 and 01/2022 dated 11.03.2022): Click here
- AKAM: DAE Iconic Week (22 Aug - 28 Aug) Celebrations: Click here
- Physics M.Sc./ Ph.D. entrance examination 2022 waitlisted candidates: Click here
- Physics M.Sc./ Ph.D. entrance examination 2022 result: Click here
- Prof. Aditi Sen De has been elected a Fellow of the Indian Academy of Sciences: Click here
- Dr Sudip Chakraborty has been selected as one of the ACS Materials Rising Stars of 2022 by the American Chemical Society:
- Notice regarding COVID-19 (Coronavirus): Click here
- 01-12-2022, Mathematics Seminar WEIGHT-ORMULAS OF HIGHEST WEIGHT MODULES OVER KAC–MOODY ALGEBRAS by
- 24-11-2022 to 03-12-2022, NCM workshop on Elliptic Curves, Elliptic functions and Transcendence.
- 10-12-2022 to 19-12-2022, Infosys Lecture Series by Professor M. Ram Murty.
- 12-12-2022 to 16-12-2022, Conference on Algebraic Geometry.
- 02-02-2023 to 04-02-2023, International conference on recent advances in renewable energy (CARE-2023).
- 15-02-2023 to 18-02-2023, Young Quantum Conference - 2023: Young Quantum 2023, a QIC conference for PhDs and PostDocs, is open for registration for papers and posters. Registration closes on November 15th, 2022.