Harish-Chandra Research Institute
The Harish-Chandra Research Institute (HRI) is a premier institution dedicated to research in Mathematics and Theoretical Physics.
The areas of focus in Mathematics are Algebra, Analysis, Geometry, and Number Theory. In Physics the areas are Astrophysics, Condensed Matter, Particle Physics, Quantum Information, and String Theory. The institute runs a Ph.D programme in both Mathematics and Theoretical Physics, and has recently started an M.Sc. programme in Physics. The institute also has a visiting students' programme for bachelors and masters students; and actively runs various outreach programmes.
In the past two decades HRI has had significant impact in both research and education in Mathematics and Theoretical Physics. Awards conferred on faculty members include one Dirac Medal, five Bhatnagar Awards and one Padma Bhushan. Around fifty alumni of the institute hold faculty positions in premier scientific institutions in the country.
Admission in Physics
HRI conducts an M.Sc and a Ph.D. programme in physics. The Ph.D. programme is open to students with an M.Sc. degree in physics, while the M.Sc. programme is open to students with a Bachelor's degree in science or engineering.
Selection process for Admissions 2022 is open now. For details of the selection process for admission to the Physics M.Sc. and Ph.D.programs, Click here > >
Admission in Mathematics
HRI conducts a regular Ph.D. program in mathematics, in collaboration with the Homi Bhaba National Institute (HBNI). The program is open to students with a M.Sc. degree in mathematics.
Selection process for Admissions 2022 is open now. The list of eligible candidates through NBHM window will be uploaded as soon as we get it. For details of the selection process for admission to the Mathematics Ph.D.programs, Click here > >
- Recruitment Result (Emp. Notice No.03/2022 dated 12.10.2022): Click here
- Open Recruitment Notices of permanent posts:- UDC, LDC, HIndi Typist and PA to Director: Click here
- Dr. Sudip Chakraborty has been appointed as Editorial Advisory Board member of Energy Advances, a journal of Royal Society of Chemistry (RSC), U.K.: Click here
- Result of Recruitment of Project Posts (Employment Notice (Project) No. 03/2022, 04/2022 and 05/2022): Click here
- Math PDF Selections October 2022 at HRI. For the result: Click here
- Prof. Aditi Sen De has been elected Fellow of the Indian National Science Academy (INSA) from Jan 2023:
- AKAM: DAE Iconic Week (22 Aug - 28 Aug) Celebrations: Click here
- 10-04-2023, Mathematics Seminar Reading seminar on Condensed Mathematics at HRI by
- 05-04-2023, Physics Colloquium Fracton Ordered Phases: From Paper to Trees. by
- 31-03-2023, Physics Colloquium Monomer percolation and its implications for condensed matter systems by
- 31-03-2023, Physics Seminar (HEP) Gravitational waves - a field theoretic treatment by
- 29-03-2023, Mathematics Seminar Algebraic and arithmetic geometry seminar by
- 29-03-2023, Mathematics Seminar Schur functions and Nevanlinna-Pick interpolation. by
- 02-10-2023 to 14-10-2023, Harish-Chandra Centenary Celebrations 2023.
- 22-02-2023 to 25-02-2023, Infosys Lecture Series by Professor Jean-Marc Deshouillers.
- 15-02-2023 to 18-02-2023, Young Quantum Conference - 2023.
- 02-02-2023 to 04-02-2023, International conference on recent advances in renewable energy (CARE-2023).
- 21-12-2022 to 23-12-2022, String Seminar Days.