Harish-Chandra Research Institute
The Harish-Chandra Research Institute (HRI) is a premier institution dedicated to research in Mathematics and Theoretical Physics.
The areas of focus in Mathematics are Algebra, Analysis, Geometry, and Number Theory. In Physics the areas are Astrophysics, Condensed Matter, Particle Physics, Quantum Information, and String Theory. The institute runs a Ph.D programme in both Mathematics and Theoretical Physics, and has recently started an M.Sc. programme in Physics. The institute also has a visiting students' programme for bachelors and masters students; and actively runs various outreach programmes.
In the past two decades HRI has had significant impact in both research and education in Mathematics and Theoretical Physics. Awards conferred on faculty members include one Dirac Medal, five Bhatnagar Awards and one Padma Bhushan. Around fifty alumni of the institute hold faculty positions in premier scientific institutions in the country.
Admission in Physics
HRI conducts an M.Sc and a Ph.D. programme in physics. The Ph.D. programme is open to students with an M.Sc. degree in physics, while the M.Sc. programme is open to students with a Bachelor's degree in science or engineering.
Selection process for Admissions 2023 is open now. For details of the selection process for admission to the Physics M.Sc. and Ph.D.programs, Click here > >
Admission in Mathematics
HRI conducts a regular Ph.D. program in mathematics, in collaboration with the Homi Bhaba National Institute (HBNI). The program is open to students with a M.Sc. degree in mathematics.
Selection process for Admissions 2023 is open now. The list of eligible candidates through NBHM window will be uploaded as soon as we get it. For details of the selection process for admission to the Mathematics Ph.D.programs, Click here > >
- Dr. Souvik Ghose has achieved IOP trusted review status in recognition of an exceptionally high level of peer review competency:
- Math PDF Selections June 2023 at HRI. For the result: Click here
- Application for JRF position under the SERB-Core Research Grant of Dr. Sudip Chakraborty: Click here
- Dr. Sudip Chakraborty receives DST Solar Challenge Award from Department of Science and Technology: Click here
- List of selected and waitlisted students for the Ph.D. programmes (Maths) 2023: Click here
- List of selected and waitlisted students for the M.Sc. and the Ph.D. programmes (Physics) 2023: Click here
- Dr. Sudip Chakraborty has been appointed as Editorial Advisory Board member of Energy Advances, a journal of Royal Society of Chemistry (RSC), U.K.: Click here
- Prof. Aditi Sen De has been elected Fellow of the Indian National Science Academy (INSA) from Jan 2023:
- AKAM: DAE Iconic Week (22 Aug - 28 Aug) Celebrations: Click here
- 29-09-2023, Physics Colloquium (4:30 pm, Auditorium) Band geometry induced linear and nonlinear quantum transport by
- 02-10-2023 to 14-10-2023, Harish-Chandra Centenary Celebrations 2023.
- 04-12-2023 to 10-12-2023, Quantum information processing and applications - 2023 (QIPA-2023).
- 19-02-2024 to 02-03-2024, Workshop on Harmonic Analysis: Fourier Multipliers and Related Topics.
- 24-07-2023 to 26-07-2023, Discussion Meeting on Non-equilibrium Correlated Systems.
- 10-04-2023 to 14-04-2023, Lectures on Non-supersymmetric String Theories By S. Parameshwaran (Liverpool).
- 22-02-2023 to 25-02-2023, Infosys Lecture Series by Professor Jean-Marc Deshouillers.
- 15-02-2023 to 18-02-2023, Young Quantum Conference - 2023.